Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Garden

I love having a garden. I really love when some things are already planted and growing...like rhubarb and raspberries. I can't wait for the raspberries. But, I like planting seeds and seeing how they grow and waiting for them to turn into something delicious. Here are some of my favorites in the garden this year.

Pumpkins. This is our first year ever growing pumpkins, and I love them because they grow! Cucumbers don't seem to like me, and the bugs are taking over the cantaloupe...but the pumpkins are already getting huge!
Chives. Don't they look great? I hope they keep doing well. I love having them! Also, notice the green lawn. We haven't had the sprinklers on for awhile...it is all from the rain.

Brocolli. This is also a first and we are growing cauliflower too, but it isn't as big yet, and it is covered by leaves. But I can't wait until this stuff is ready.

Tomatoes! I love tomatoes. Andrew doesn't, which really is too bad, because I think I planted 6 plants. 4 Beefsteak and 2 Cherry. Last year they didn't do so well...which is why I had to plant 6 plants of them.

Lettuce...the best for last. Really. I love growing lettuce. It is my favorite, because, like pumpkins, it always grows. At least for me. When the bugs attack everything else, they stay away from the lettuce. Unfortunately, you can't save lettuce; and when it bolts, well, it is gone. But it grows fast. And you can plant more for a fall crop. I love lettuce.

No comments: